We would all like to be remembered for something. Why not immortalize yourself on your tombstone? A clever, thoughtful, funny, or loving epitaph is sure to garner attention.
Some people want their religious beliefs on the headstone, while other epitaphs are downright mean. Whatever you choose to have engraved on the grave marker will live on for years to come.
Continue on and read some unforgettable tombstone inscriptions.
Epitaph Quotes for Tombstones, Headstones, and Grave Markers
The word epitaph comes from a Greek word meaning “upon a tomb.” It’s literally what is written upon a tombstone, grave marker, or headstone.
Sometimes this is called an inscription or engraving, also possibly a sentiment or engraving. These are all different ways of talking about what is written, carved, etched, engraved, or inscribed upon the headstone.
And of course, any of these can also be used for an inscription on a cremation urn for cremated remains.
The epitaph generally includes the decedent’s name and dates, along with a few choice words such as “In loving memory” or… well, that’s what the rest of this article is about.
Here are some ideas for your inspiration!
Short Headstone Sayings
- In Loving Memory Of (Add Name)
- Celebrating the Life Of (Add Name)
- Wife, Mother, Daughter, Friend
- Husband, Father, Son, Friend
- Always Loved, Never Forgotten
- Live With No Regrets
- Love Lives On
- Honoring (Add Name)
- We Will Cherish You Always
- Once In A Lifetime
- In God’s Care
- In The Arms Of The Angels
- We Will Always Love You
- Remembered By All
- She Asked For So Little But Gave So Very Much
- Mourn Not My Death, But Celebrate My Life
- Love Is A Light That Never Dims
- Step Softly, A Dream Lies Buried Here.
- Died Happy
- In Life Be Loved And In Death Be Lamented
- Until We Meet Again
Headstone Inscriptions for Dad
- The World Is Diminished Because He Is Gone… But It Is Still A Better Place Because He Was Here
- Our Loving Father
- Beloved By All Who Knew Him
- A Very Special Man
- He Led A Life Well-Lived
- His Mission On Earth Is Fulfilled
- No Man Is Indispensable But Some Are Irreplaceable
- Dad, The World’s Loss Was Heaven’s Gain When God Took You Home
- A Man Greatly Beloved
- A Loving Father, Tender And Kind, What A Beautiful Memory You Left Behind.
Headstone Inscriptions for Mom
- A Mother’s Love, Like An Imperishable Sun, Cannot Go Out
- Mom, You Were An Inspiration To All
- You’re Lucky If You Can Call Your Mom A Friend
- A Woman Of Grace And Dignity
- Here Lies A “Proverbs 31” Woman
- Mother, Greatly Loved and Sadly Missed
- What A Wonderful Life!
- May God Grant You Eternal Rest, Dear Mother
- She Walked In Beauty
- No One Spread More Love In One Lifetime
Headstone Inscriptions for Husband and Wife
- I Will Sleep In Peace Until You Come To Me
- I Will Be In The Wind That Moves By You
- Together Again
- Together Forever
- They Lived And Laughed, Loved, And Left
- Just Whisper My Name In Your Heart And I Will Be There
- My Love, I Will See You In Heaven
- True Soulmates
- There Is No Parting In Heaven
- Everlasting Love
- Together In Life And Death
- Always Loving, Always Loved
- We Lived Together In Happiness, Now We Rest Together In Peace
Headstone Inscriptions for Children
- You Touched Our Lives For The Briefest Of Moments, Yet You Will Stay With Us Forever
- Planted On Earth To Bloom In Heaven
- God’s Garden Needs Little Flowers
- Remembering A Tiny Angel
- Our Littlest Angel Who Went Back To Heaven
- Even The Tiniest Child Leaves Behind A Love That Lasts Forever
- Children Are A Heritage Of The Lord – Psalm 127:3
- So Small, So Sweet, So Soon
- Sleep, My Little One, Sleep
- Lord, We Give You Our Littlest Angel
Military Headstone Inscriptions for Veterans
- Duty, Honor, Country. Well Done. Be At Peace.
- Never Forget
- No Day Shall Erase You From The Memory Of Time
- A Life Of Beauty And Service
- We Often Take For Granted The Very Things That Deserve Our Gratitude
- Real Heroes Have An American Flag On The Arm Of Their Uniform
- At The Going Down Of The Sun And In The Morning We Will Remember Him
- Warriors Are Those Who Choose To Stand Between An Enemy And All That They Hold Sacred
- With Much Gratitude For The Brave Men And Women, For Their Heroic Sacrifice For Our Freedom, Lest We Forget
- It’s Not That I Can And Others Can’t; It’s That I Did And Others Didn’t
- To Live Without Discipline Is To Die Without Honor
- A Day Of Duty Done. A Day Of Rest Begun
- There Is No Greater Love Than To Lay Down One’s Life For One’s Friends – John 15:13
- I Have Fought The Good Fight I Have Finished The Course I Have Kept The Faith – 2 Timothy 4:7
- At Rest, A Soldier And Defender Of The Constitution.
Famous Quotes on Tombstones
- There Goes The Neighborhood – Rodney Dangerfield
- Free At Last, Free At Last, Thank God Almighty I’m Free At Last – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- I Will Not Be Back Right After This Message – Merv Griffin
- He Never Killed A Man That Did Not Need Killing – Robert Clay Allison (famous 1800s cowboy)
- Heavyweight Champion Of The World. A Gentle Man And A Gentleman – Jack Dempsey
- I Told You I Was Sick – William H. Hahn Jr.
- She Always Said her Feet Were Killing Her, But No One Believed Her – Marguerite Dewey Daniels
- I Had A Lover’s Quarrel With The World – Robert Frost
- A Tomb Now Suffices Him For Whom The World Was Not Enough – Alexander The Great
- I Knew If I Waited Around Long Enough Something Like This Would Happen – George Bernard Shaw
Some “Not So Nice” Epitaphs
- Abandoned In Old Age By Wife And Children; May God Be More Understanding And Merciful – Andrew J. Olszak
- May Eternal Damnation Be Upon Those In Whaling Port. Who, Without Knowing Me Have Maliciously Vilified Me. May The Curse Of God Be Upon Them And Theirs – Mary Dolencie
- My Brother Was Good At Pissing People Off – Cecil O’Dell Eads
- My Wife, Eleanor Arthur, Of Queens, NY, Lived Like A Princess For 20 Years. Traveling The World With The Best Of Everything. When I Went Blind, She Tried To Poison Me. Took All My Money, All My Medication, And Left Me In The Dark, Alone, And Sick. It’s A Miracle I Escaped. I Won’t See Her In Heaven Because She Is Surely Going To Hell – Herman Harband
More Beautiful Epitaphs
- I Believe That If I Should Die, And You Were To Walk Near My Grave, From The Very Depths Of The Earth, I Would Hear Your Footsteps. (On a personal note, this is my very favorite!)
- Should We Lose Each Other In The Shadow Of The Evening Trees, I Will Wait For You. And Should I Fall Behind, Wait For Me
- Our Brief Partings On Earth Will Appear One Day As Nothing Beside The Joy Of Eternity Together
- This Life Is But A Passing Dream, We Soon Shall Wake In Heaven
- The Hours Part Us, But They Bring Us Together Again
- Life Is Not Forever. Love Is
- I Shall Dwell In The House Of The Lord Forever – Psalm 23:6
- Whoever Believes In Him May Have Eternal Life – John 3:15
- If I Had My Life To Do Over, I Would Find You Sooner So I Could Love You Longer
- We Shall Meet In The Place Where There Is No More Darkness
Now that you have read this list, you should have no trouble creating the perfect epitaph for your loved one’s headstone. You can write your own or simply borrow one from here.
For more information, read 12 Headstone Tips to Help You Get the Inscription Just Right.
- 50 Best “In Loving Memory” Quotes
- The Most Inspiring Life Celebration Quotes
- 50 Best Funeral Scriptures and Bible Verses
- Missing You: 22 Honest Quotes About Grief
- 101 Condolence Messages