Last Updated on
Grieving over and missing someone you love is a big deal. It’s not always easy to give voice to the thoughts and emotions inside you.
These swell up to tears and down to numbness, then repeat, and it seems like no one else understands or can fathom.
The 22 honest quotes about grief are provided here to help you find the right words to express just how much you miss your loved one. Feel free to share, pin, or save as your background or screen saver, just be sure to link back to this post when sharing online.
1. Grief: The last act of love
Grief is the last act of love we can give to those we loved. Where there is deep grief, there was great love.
2. I miss you
I miss you. A little too much, a little too often, and a little bit more every day.
3. I still think of you
I keep myself busy
with the things I do.
But every time I pause,
I still think of you.
4. Honest quotes about grief: Tonight
And tonight I’ll fall asleep with you in my heart.
No matter how long it’s been, there are times when it suddenly becomes harder to breathe.
It’s the kind of heartache you can feel in your bones.
7. I’ll be OK
I’ll be OK… just not today.
8. I’ll miss you forever
I think I’ll miss you forever, like the stars miss the sun in the morning skies.
9. The silent language of grief
Tears are the silent language of grief.
10. Not okay
It is perfectly okay to admit you’re not okay.
11. My first thought
My first thought in the morning is always you.
12. Grief never ends
Grief never ends… But it changes.
It’s a passage, not a place to stay.
Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith…
It is the price of love.
13. Rain & rainbows
No rain, no rainbow.
14. Grief quotes: Learning to swim
Grief is like the ocean; it comes in waves, ebbing and flowing.
Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming.
All we can do is learn to swim.
– Vicki Harrison
15. Wisdom from Winnie the Pooh
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.
– Winnie the Pooh
16. There are days…
There are days I cannot participate in life.
17. Missing you: Then it hits you
Then it hits you so much harder than you ever thought it would.
18. To-do list
Things to do today:
1. Get up
3. Go back to bed
19. Honest quotes about grief: Happiness
You have no idea of the amount of happiness you brought into my life.
20. Missing you today
Honestly, I spent today missing you and that is probably how I will spend tomorrow and the day after that and the day after that.
21. Just once
If you asked me how many times you’ve crossed my mind, I would say once because you never really left.
22. Blessed are those who mourn
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
– Jesus, in Matthew 5:4
More quotes about grief & loss:
- 20 funeral quotes for a eulogy – more meme-style quotes, ideal for memorials and eulogies
- 31 comforting Bible verses – meme-style Scripture verse quotes
- Great quotes on grief – a large collection of quotes about grief from popular authors
- Poems and Quotes – a well-curated collection of quotes, poems, and more from a blogger who knows grief
- Grief, Bereavement, Loss – active and interesting Pinterest board managed by Cincinnati’s Walker Funeral Home