Last Updated on
Here we present the very best In Loving Memory Quotes to help you honor your loved one. When someone you care about dies, it’s so easy to feel like you have so much to say but no words to say it.
We hope and pray that these eloquent quotes can provide you with the words to say in a eulogy, inscription, sympathy card, or other situations. May you receive comfort and encouragement in your time of great grief and sorrow.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase something you see on our site we may receive a commission at no cost to you. See our full disclosure here for more details.
In Loving Memory Quotes
We collected these beloved “in loving memory” quotes for your use in a eulogy, inscription, sympathy card, or to honor your mother or father. Feel free to share each quote with family and friends, on social media, or somewhere in the funeral service.
Below, you’ll find the top 10 In Loving Memory Quotes for:
- Sympathy cards
Each of these quotes can be used for different purposes – for instance, many of the same quotes for Mom could be used for Dad, or for Grandpa, or for a dear friend. You get the idea.
We hope these lists are helpful to you as you seek to honor the memory of someone you love!
Top 10 In Loving Memory Quotes for a Eulogy
These quotes are ideal for use in a loved one’s eulogy. Each quote communicates a deep well of meaning in the space of just a few words. You may want to consider building your eulogy around one of these sayings. For more information on how to write a eulogy, see here.
- Don’t cry because it’s over; smile because it happened. – Dr. Seuss
- To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die. – Thomas Campbell
- As is a tale, so is a life: Not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters. – Seneca
- God will wipe away every tear from their eyes,
and death shall be no more,
neither shall there be mourning, nor crying,
nor pain anymore,
for the former things have passed away. – Revelation 21:4
- Well done, good and faithful servant.
You have been faithful over a little;
I will set you over much.
Enter into the joy of your master. – Matthew 25:21
- No one spread more love in one lifetime.
- The song is ended but the melody lingers on. – Irving Berlin
- Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.
- May you touch
Dragonflies and stars,
Dance with fairies,
And talk to the moon.
- To live is Christ and to die is gain. – Philippians 1:21
Top 10 In Loving Memory Quotes for an Inscription
When someone you love dies, you will traditionally engrave a headstone, grave marker, cremation urn, or memorial plaque with their name, dates, and a brief inscription. These In Loving Memory quotes are brief and to the point. This makes them ideal for an inscription or epitaph.
- Always in our hearts
- Always on my mind, forever in my heart
- You’ll be with me forever
- Gone yet not forgotten
- May the winds of heaven blow softly and whisper in your ear
How much we love and miss you and wish that you were here
- You may be gone from my sight but you are never gone from my heart
- Death leaves a heartache no one can heal
Love leaves a memory no one can steal
- Your life was a blessing, your memory a treasure
You are loved beyond words and missed beyond measure
- I will hold you in my heart until I can hold you again in heaven
- The best is yet to come.
Top 10 In Loving Memory Quotes for a Sympathy Card
Below are ten of our favorite quotes to use in a sympathy card. Feel free to adjust as appropriate for your situation. Also see the link below for many, many more ideas on what to write in your condolence card.
- Those who touch our lives stay in our hearts forever
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. – Matthew 5:4
- How lucky you are to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.
- There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. – Washington Irving
- When words are most empty, tears are most apt. – Max Lucado
- The sun has set on an amazing life.
- We are sharing in your sadness as you remember [name].
- It was a gift to know [name].
- Words cannot express the sorrow and sadness we feel at the loss of your [parent, spouse, etc], [name]. Please accept our condolences and know that we are thinking of you.
- The comfort of having a friend may be taken away but not that of having had one. – Seneca
Top 10 Memorial Quotes for Mom
What can we say about mothers that hasn’t already been said? When words fail you, consider these quotes to help you remember and cherish your mother’s memory.
- What we once have enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes part of us. – Helen Keller
- Wherever a beautiful soul has been there is a trail of beautiful memories. – Ronald Reagan
- It’s hard to forget someone who gave me so much to remember.
- I love you. Nothing, and nobody, not even time, will change that.
- I miss you. A little too much, a little too often, and a little bit more every day.
- She made broken look beautiful and strong look invincible. She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like a pair of wings. – Ariana Dancu
- She asked for so little, but gave so very much.
- She loved life and it loved her right back.
- A silent thought, a secret tear,
Keeps your memory ever dear.
Time eases the edge of grief,
Memory turns back every leaf.
- Tonight I’ll fall asleep with you in my heart.
Top 10 Memorial Quotes for Dad
Fathers have an incredible impact on their children. A good dad is a true joy and blessing. Here we present our favorite remembrance quotes about dads.
- We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. – Winston Churchill
- The love in our family flows strong and deep
Leaving us memories to treasure and keep
- He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often, and loved much. – Bessie Anderson Stanley
- There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. – Albert Einstein
- He asked for so little, but gave so very much.
- You live on in the hearts and minds
Of the loving family you left behind
- Memory is a lovely lane,
Where hearts are ever true,
A lane I so often travel down,
Because it leads to you.
- You have no idea the amount of happiness you brought into my life.
- He loved and was loved.
- Two roads diverged in a wood, and I –
I took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference. – Robert Frost
Check out the links above for many additional quotes. Here are some further resources:
- Grief Day By Day (book) by Jan Warner. I was sent a copy of this book to review and found it to be chock-full of terrific quotes. It’s a guidebook for grief, so that’s what most of the quotations are about, but there are many that would be appropriate as In Loving Memory quotes for inscriptions, eulogies, and so on. Recommended.
- Comforting Bible Verses – Over 30 Scripture quotations presented with shareable images.
- Missing You: 22 Honest Quotes About Grief – Pithy quotes that help describe the ups and downs of the grieving process.
- 33 Inspiring Life Celebration Quotes – These ones are appropriate for celebrating and honoring the life they lived.