Memorial candles are a great addition to funerals, memorial services, reception table centerpieces, or home memorial displays.
For the crafty do-it-yourself-er, here are 6 lovely DIY memorial candle projects that you can pull off quickly and easily at a minimal cost.
Our website is supported by our users. We sometimes earn a commission when you click through the affiliate links on our website. Learn more here.
1. Glowing Photo Luminary Memorial Candles
These glowing photo candles add a lovely, ethereal touch. Use them at the memorial service, on the reception tables as centerpieces, or in a special place in your home.
Difficulty level: Easy
- Photo printer (here is a good one)
- Vellum sheets (available at any craft store)
- Double-sided tape
- Cylindrical candle holders, aka hurricanes
- Tea lights or battery powered candles
2. Easy DIY Floating Memorial Candles
These floating candles are super-easy and affordable, especially if you use glasses you already own. And what an aroma!! These work great to honor someone who really loved Christmas, for a memorial around the holidays, or to evoke a sense of warmth and celebration.
Difficulty level: Super-easy
- Glasses or clear glass candle holders
- Fresh rosemary sprigs
- Fresh cranberries
- Floating candles
- Fill glasses with water
- Place 2-3 full sprigs of rosemary into the glasses
- Place a large handful of cranberries on top
- Place the floating candle into the center
3. DIY Coffee-Scented Candles
Few things provide a more comforting aroma than coffee. Try this simple tutorial to make your own homemade coffe-scented candles.
Difficulty level: Medium-easy
- Small bowls, glasses, or cups
- Candle wax – new or used (great for upcycling!)
- Candle wick
- Coffee beans
- Vanilla beans, chopped
4. Dimensional Paper Lantern Memorial Candles
Paper lanterns provide a personal yet otherworldly effect. Here is the guide to make your own.
Difficulty level: Medium
- Glass with straight sides (cylinders or cubes)
- Heavy paper (card stock, index stock)
- X-acto knife or Sihlouette Portrait machine
- Double sided tape
5. Old-Fashioned Lacy Luminaries
A touch of old-fashioned antique beauty comes from the winning combination of mason jars and doilies. Check out the full tutorial for more information here.
Difficulty level: Medium-Easy
- Mason-style jars with lids
- Adhesive spray
- Crocheted doilies
- Twine, buttons, ribbons, and/or burlap
6. DIY Coffee Candles
Create your own, beautifully scented candle right at home! Maybe you are looking for a fun DIY project to do over the weekend, or maybe you just can’t find that perfect coffee scented candle anywhere near you. Whatever the case, this simple tutorial will walk you through process step by step, and you may have many of the items you need on hand already!
Difficulty level: Medium-easy
- Melt beeswax and soy wax in a pot
- Add Coffee fragrance oil and brown pigment powder, mix well
- Add coffee beans to candleholder, add in wax mixture, and let cool until solid
More DIY Memorial Candle Tutorials?
Do you know of a great DIY memorial candle idea? Share links or instructions to your favorite candle ideas in the comments below!
Read Next: 21 Ways to Light a Candle for Someone