Last Updated on July 15, 2020
It might be a weird thought, but have you ever noticed how weddings and funerals are surprisingly similar?
Let’s talk about this.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase something you see on our site we may receive a commission at no cost to you. See our full disclosure here for more details.
Weddings and Funerals
It’s true. Check it out – weddings and funerals are similar because in each:
- Everyone gets dressed up
- There are flowers
- There is a guest book
- The decor is pretty much the same
- Everyone you know is there, plus some odd family members you barely know
- People bring cards, some of which have money in them
- Things are organized by a priest/pastor/funeral(or wedding) director
- Family argues about the service and/or decor
- There’s a reception afterwards with a meal, potluck, finger foods, or just dessert
- It’s an event about someone you love
- Family and friends honor a milestone in someone’s life
- A notice often gets printed in the local newspaper
- There are specialty websites you can create for each
- Guests will often get personalized or eco-friendly favors
It’s not a bad life if your wedding and funeral are both celebrated with lots of family and friends gathered around to honor you in a weighty ceremony, share humorous and touching stories about your life, enjoy a nice meal together, and have great hope for the next stage of your journey.
Stuff You’ll Find at Both Weddings & Funerals
Here’s a few specific features that you will tend to find at both weddings and funerals.
An Elegant RSVP Invite
What’s inside? Is it a “save the date” for the happy couple’s wedding? Or is an invitation to a “celebration of life” for a departed family member? Hard to tell…
Creative Guest Books
Look at these gorgeous wedding flowers! Oh wait, she’s going to set them on a on a casket…
Decorative Candle Accents
The entry table, family area, or the reception tables are often accented with cute candles such as any of these easy DIY candles. You’ll find them at weddings and funerals alike.
Dressed-Up Kids Playing Cornhole
These kids can’t tell the difference between a wedding and a “life celebration event.” They have to dress up for both, they’re both boring, there’s usually food, and finally they get to play cornhole.
Lots of Food at the Reception
Hard to tell, looking at this photo, if we’re at a small family wedding or a post-funeral reception. In either case, there’s always food.
Weird Family Members Doing Their Thing
We all have those weird family members who just do their thing. Doesn’t matter if it’s a funeral or a wedding; they’ll be there.
Similar Yet Different
In short, weddings and funerals are interesting in how similar the trappings are. Yet they are so very different in many other ways… but that’s for another post.
How else have you found weddings and funerals to be surprisingly similar?